In the Diocese of Parramatta students at all schools regularly engage in activities to support Catholic Mission with fundraising and awareness-raising initiatives.
Social Justice programs encourage students to take action beyond the classroom where injustice, inequity and inequality prevail.
Our Faith in Action program offers students the opportunity to give generously to those in society who need support. Throughout the school year, the College comes alive with generosity and compassion as students are encouraged to work closely with their local parish, community groups, support local charities and participate in outreach or immersion experiences for the benefit of the whole community and the student’s personal development.
Marian students are encouraged to develop a ‘Faith in Action’ goal every year. Students are taken through the process of setting a SMARTER goal and given a range of options to choose from.
Faith in Action is reflected in the Letter of James which states:
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? If a brother or sister are naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and eat your ﬁll,” and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that. So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. But someone will say: ”You have faith and I have works” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I by my works, will show you my faith … You see a person is justiﬁed by works and not faith alone…..For just as the body without spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead.
James 2: 14 – 18…24, 26
So, throughout every year, all students at Marian will be considering how they might put their faith into action.
Students may wish to choose from the following examples.
- Catechists at Dural PS
- Vinnies Van Volunteers
- Readers and Writers
- Sewing for children in Africa, South-East Asia and South America
- Attending beading sessions to make bracelets for children overseas
- Collecting items for the ‘Share the Dignity’ charity
- Attending Social Justice workshops run by the Parramatta CSPD
- Erecting Social Displays in the Parramatta Cathedral forecourt for student from other schools in the Diocese
- Entering the Social Justice essay competition
- Contributing to Bake sales to raise money for charity
- Running Mother’s Day stalls to raise money for charity
- Attending the Australian Catholic Youth Festival
- Attending World Youth Days
- Attending the weekly Social Justice Club
- Reading mentors
- Breakfast Club volunteer
- Maths tutor
- Language tutor
- Altar Server
- Caritas fundraising for Project Compassion
- Giving money to charity
- Towels and toiletries for Talbot
- World’s Greatest Shave
- Vinnies Christmas Appeal
- Vinnies Winter Appeal
- Donating hampers to Nursing home residents
- Donating food to the Jesuit Refugee Service
- Raising money for the Jesuit Refugee Service
- Writing Christmas cards to Nursing home residents
- Writing Christmas cards to go with the Vinnies hampers
- Writing letters to survivors of bushfires
- Raising money for the Vinnies Bushfire Appeal
- Involvement in Prayer over PA
- Writing prayers for Marian Morning Prayer
- Liturgy Drama
- Liturgy Organisation
- Liturgy Musician
- Liturgy Tech Crew
- Liturgy Reading
- Liturgy Multimedia Presentation
- Assembly Musician
- Assembly Drama
- Open Night Volunteer
- Peer Support Leader
- Marian Year 7 Induction Volunteer
- Class Mass Reader
- Class Mass Altar Server
- Friday Rosary in the Prayer Room
- Undertake to attend Mass on Sundays
- Shrove Tuesday Fundraiser for Caritas
- Busking for Vinnies
Parents are asked to monitor their son’s or daughters’ ‘Faith in Action’ to help and encourage them to achieve them throughout the year.